So, What's Our Big Purpose?
The Co-op is here to do two things:
1. Cultivate community
2. Provide meaningful goods and services to our region
This means we go beyond a traditional business model, putting more of an emphasis on taking care of the region that supports us.
Above from top left clockwise: The Co-op sponsored a fundraiser to support the Buckminster Fuller Dome. Dogs being washed at Dog Days of Summer, a fundraiser for area animal shelters. Kathy Ward teaching a cooking class in the Co-op's community room. Courtney Smith giving a tour of Green Ridge Farm.
· We believe that the cooperative business structure is the most effective way of meeting consumers' needs.
· We believe all individuals should be treated with respect. Neighborhood Co-op Grocery exercises honesty and integrity with employees, customers, suppliers and the community.
· We believe in a fair, diverse, and supportive workplace that provides open employment and opportunities.
· We believe that exceptional customer service will contribute to an outstanding shopping experience.
· We believe that informed choices made by consumers have a far-reaching impact on the local and global community.
· We are committed to providing educational services and resources to enhance consumers' awareness.
· We honor the earth by supporting and promoting environmentally responsible products, business practices and sustainable agriculture.
· We believe that the health of the planet depends on the health of its inhabitants.
Our Vision & End Results
Because of Neighborhood Co-op, the people of Southern Illinois and surrounding areas will have:
• A more engaged, vibrant community focused on local sustainability
• Access to meaningful products and services
• A model of a cooperatively-owned and profitable business
• An increased understanding of food systems