This is another wonderful breakfast option for when you have company. It comes together quickly and is something off-the-beaten path from the usual breakfast foods. The recipe is also easy to double, so you can feed more people. The same 10" skillet will work, but your baking time will increase 8-10 minutes or so.
1/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup milk
4 Tbls unsalted butter
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Place an oven-safe skillet, preferably cast iron, in the oven to preheat to 425° F.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, salt and milk until combined.
- Add the flour and whisk batter until completely smooth.
- When oven is preheated, remove skillet and add butter directly into the hot skillet.
- Allow the butter to melt, then pour in batter.
- Top evenly with cherries and bake for 22-25 minutes; until the edges are browned and puffed. The center should look set similar to custard or Jello. The top should be speckled brown.
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar on top or, though not traditional, enjoy with maple syrup.